The idea behind this activity is building meaning to high-frequency words that are hard to build the understanding of the concept meaning. I combine this activity with predictable charts, reading books with high-frequency words, and activities building alphabetic principal.
1. The teacher collects pictures or prints pictures of clip art.
2. The teacher prints or writes the high-frequency word enough times for every student to have their own copy of the word.
3. The teacher hands the high-frequency word to each student. Here is a. Here is the word a. This word is a. Etc.
4. Then the students look at the pictures. Do you want a pizza? Would you like a bike? Etc. The children answer. I would like a _____. Or I see a pizza. This is building the concept of sentence and word.
5. The children turn and talk to each other. They tell each other what they would like on the chart using the question and answer stems that the teacher sets up.
6. The children place the word in front of the picture reinforcing left to right concept of print.